Monday, October 4, 2010

The Little Book that Could - "The Go-Giver"

It's been two years since I joined my Book Club and while I am a self admitted non-book reader I give a good effort each and every time.  I've only missed one, of our monthly meetings, and have started each and every book. There has not been a book that I did not get at least halfway through and at least five or so that I have completed. My new Book Club friends often start the meeting by asking me if I have finished the current read and often get a big laugh out of my answer.  Why they don't kick me out is a thought my brain has pondered but I have gotten better and I do try, always...    I, like the other special ladies in the group, bring something different to it each and every meeting whether I finish the book or not... or at least that is what I tell myself....  "It is what it is..." (I'll let you know if I ever get my walking papers)...

Who could have so many books and not read them all? (smile)  I once belonged to the "Oprah-tells-you-to-buy-it-so-it-must-be-good-book-buyers-club"  I gave up a couple of years ago... but in the meantime, I have quite the collection.. (smile)



Lately, I have evaluated my business intently and have pondered, recognized and tackled my weaknesses as it relates to it.  Acknowledging openly that one is not perfect is very hard for most but to acknowledge, embrace and thereafter strive to make things different/better is the key, in my humble opinion, to true growth. I seek to be the best I can be and have read a little bit lately ... OK maybe a lot about how others have done this for themselves.  I started with the book called the "The E-Myth Revisited" and lost myself in the text as it penetrated my brain and sought to transform my thoughts.. I urged my husband to read it as well and read to him at night sometimes when the words on the page actually made it hard for me not to share.  Reluctantly, he allowed me to softly read to him and we both amazed at what was coming off of the pages.  In the meantime, I was also reading "SHIFT", "REWORK" and the book club book "The Immortal Life of Heneretta Lacks".  Through our discussions, Eric noticed my new awareness and sought to bring me home yet another book for my new venture. He pulled them out of the bag not knowing, at the time, that these two little books would really change the way we thought about a lot of things. He wanted me to start with the second one and he would start with the first one.  I tried to sneak the first one away form him several times because I have a hard time reading a sequel out of order but he was stanch about finishing the first one first
"Go finish all of those other books you have, I'll be done in a couple of days".  A week later I asked if he had finished it.
 "Yes" he said "but a funny thing happened...I gave it away"
"You did what...?" I asked... honestly, it was more of a squeal.
"I gave it away, isn't that what the book is about? It is called the "The Go-Giver" right?" and he went on to explain how this little book made him see things differently and how he was compelled to give it to someone who asked about it.
I smiled as he told the story and could not help thinking how lucky I was to have found someone who genuinely and consistently thinks of others.  I went to the bookstore the next day and purchased another copy.  He saw it in my hands that night and smiled.  I have since finished it and have admittedly been transformed by it and what it says both about business and life.  Is this an endorsement? " I think so. While I will apply what I have learned to my business I'm confident that it's principles could be life changing in many areas of your life. The Little Book That Could.... do a lot for all of us... (Happy Monday everyone)

3 comments:

Bob Burg said...

Thank you so much for your very kind posting and words about John David Mann's and my book. Honored to know that you felt it contained enough value to share with others.

Best regards,

Bob

a little bit of whimsy photography said...

Thanks Bob.. it means a lot that you felt so inclined to comment on my blog.. I will continue to share with others and wait for your next book..

Abadeu said...

That was a good article.. It's funny how someone so caught up and living the photography side of life has so much to say. Now I'ma go get those books. Ahkita has the first, and my father told me about both, and what you had to say about them. But reading your own words... I must it must be a good book.