Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Surprise 75th Birthday Celebration!

The week was rainy but that day was perfect.. sun shining, temperature moderate, no rain in sight and not a cloud in the sky. As if the day was tailor made for a very special person that was due for one of the biggest surprises of his life.

Wow! What a birthday celebration. It was complete with over 250 guests, a sit down dinner, an ice sculpture, and a program complete with touching tributes, stories, gifts, memories, honor and praise. A special tribute from the beautifully, talented Vickie Winans and a musical selection of another kind from the Ballou High School Marching Band. It was hard to compose myself during both performances because of the electricity in the room. After Vickie's performance of "King Jesus" I caught myself shouting, a squeal, out loud. I had to chuckle and look around to see if anyone heard my sudden outburst (smile); then off I went to capture the rest of the program complete with memories and love (the slideshow), stories of kindness and compassion (the shoes), friendship (the classmates from Bates High School), the musical connection (the marching band), gifts (the high school jacket and the commemorative brick). Good food, family, fellowship, friends and fun.
As I listened to the family and friends on the red carpet being interviewed what struck me was the love, respect and honor that each person reflected and the reverence they ushered to a man whom they know... loves God, preaches the word and brings people to Christ... over and over the accolades where memorable and encouraging, heartwarming and true.... I could not wait to finally meet him... and thus the time came when the room was hushed to silence and the crowd waited with heavy anticipation.

Two years in the making, by the mastermind Regi, the surprise of a lifetime was about to unfold.. the doors swung open and there he was, the guest of honor, Bishop Francis S. Myles, Sr. Pastor and Prelate of the House of Prayer Church of God, Inc.... I could go on for days about the details but I will let the pictures tell the story that only time prohibits me from finishing.
I'd be remiss if I failed to mention "Team Regi" so aptly named by one of the team's fearless leaders. This event will go down in many minds as the one that was above the rest and you all did such a spectacular job working together with the goal of making the day special for Bishop Myles.
Regi, thank you for trusting and allowing me the opportunity to capture this very special day for Bishop Myles. Eric and I were so honored to be apart of his 75th Birthday Celebration and left uplifted and filled with joy after being a part of this incredible day!


Click Here to see the slideshow!



1 comment:

Mary Marantz said...

this looks like so much fun!